Current:Home > MarketsFederal investigation begins of fatal Florida crane collapse; bridge reopens -GrowthInsight
Federal investigation begins of fatal Florida crane collapse; bridge reopens
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 18:08:32
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — Federal job safety officials began their investigation Friday into the collapse of a crane in downtown Fort Lauderdale that killed one worker, injured three people and left morning traffic snarled.
Investigators from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration will try to determine what caused Thursday afternoon’s collapse that crushed two cars on a busy bridge that crosses the New River adjacent to the Broward County Courthouse.
The bridge reopened after rush hour Friday. A courthouse spokesperson said operations were not affected.
Mark Cerezin, the driver of one of the crushed cars, told the South Florida Sun Sentinel that he felt something was wrong and slammed on his brakes. Then a “big, huge, massive piece of blue steel” struck his car, bounced off the bridge and onto the other car. He got out of his car “in a state of shock.”
“I’m just grateful to be able to go home to my wife and to my friends,” he told the newspaper.
Fort Lauderdale Police identified the killed worker as Jorge De La Torre, 27. Police said he had been working on the building that is under construction when the collapsing crane caused him to fall.
One injured person was hospitalized, while one was released. The third person was treated at the scene.
OSHA said Phoenix Rigging & Erecting, Kast Construction and Maxim Crane Works are the companies under investigation. Phoenix Rigging declined comment, citing the ongoing investigation. Kast and Maxim did not immediately return phone calls seeking comment.
veryGood! (89)
Related
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Lawyers for Malcolm X family say new statements implicate NYPD, feds in assassination
- James Crumbley, father of Michigan school shooter, fights to keep son's diary, texts out of trial
- Georgia lawmakers weigh a 3-year pause on expansion permits for planned Okefenokee mine
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- James Crumbley, father of Michigan school shooter, fights to keep son's diary, texts out of trial
- Proposed Louisiana bill would eliminate parole opportunity for most convicted in the future
- Amid fentanyl crisis, Oregon lawmakers propose more funding for opioid addiction medication in jails
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Proof Kylie Kelce Is the True MVP of Milan Fashion Week
Ranking
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Extreme fog fueled 20-vehicle crash with 21 hurt on US 84 in southeastern Mississippi
- 5 charred bodies found in remote Mexico town after reported clash between criminals
- Machine Gun Kelly Shares Heartbreaking Message on Megan Fox’s Miscarriage
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Odysseus spacecraft attempts historic moon landing today: Here's how to watch
- World's first hybrid wind and fuel powered chemical tanker sets sail from Rotterdam
- North Dakota Republican Sen. Kevin Cramer of North Dakota says he’s seeking reelection
Recommendation
NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
LA ethics panel rejects proposed fine for ex-CBS exec Les Moonves over police probe interference
Jennifer King becomes Bears' first woman assistant coach. So, how about head coach spot?
Families of Gabby Petito, Brian Laundrie reach settlement in emotional distress suit
Travis Hunter, the 2
Dozens of Idaho obstetricians have stopped practicing there since abortions were banned, study says
The Daily Money: How the Capital One-Discover deal could impact consumers
Charges against alleged white supremacists are tossed by a California judge for the second time